- press release
Deusser Is Divine with Scuderia 1918 Tobago Z in $500,000 Rolex Grand Prix CSI5*
Daniel Deusser (GER) and Scuderia 1918 Tobago Z with Kyle Younghans, Sports Marketing Manager of Rolex Watch USA, in their winning presentation. © Sportfot
Wellington, FL – March 26, 2021 – Extending an astonishing winning streak at the 2021 Winter Equestrian Festival, World Number Three rider Daniel Deusser (GER) showed once again why he’s one of the best, riding to the top of the $500,000 Rolex Grand Prix CSI5* with Scuderia 1918 Tobago Z, owned by Stephex Stables and Scuderia 1918.
Forty of the best riders in the world took to the grass Derby Field at Equestrian Village on a picture-perfect day for the feature class of the circuit. Eight pairs were clear in the first round to continue to the jump-off.
As the last to go in the jump-off, Deusser had the advantage of knowing the time to beat and used it to his advantage, coming in just under the winning time in 36.40 seconds.
This was Deusser’s seventh win at WEF, his fourth CSI5* class victory, and his third grand prix win, having captured the $214,000 Marshall & Sterling Grand Prix CSI4* with Killer Queen VDM and the $214,000 Grand Prix CSIO4*, presented by Lugano Diamonds, with Scuderia 1918 Tobago Z.
Deusser’s top horse, Scuderia 1918 Tobago Z, was fit and prepared for the biggest class of the season.
“Tobago has been my best horse for years,” said Deusser of the 13-year-old Zangersheide stallion by Tangelo Vd Zuuthoeve x Mr Blue. “He has won many grand prix [classes], and also he really likes big grass arenas. He was in very, very good shape already the last couple of weeks here. That doesn’t necessarily mean he wins today, but he kept his form and he performed great. It was a little bit in my favor today that I had to start second to last in the first round and last in the jump-off. I knew exactly what I had to do. And in the end, I have to say once it works out and the horse jumps how he jumps, it was not too difficult.”
After an injury in late 2019, “Toby” only came back to competition at the end of the year in 2020.
“He actually came back better than before,” said Deusser. “These couple of weeks here at WEF have given the horse a lot of strength again. Hopefully he stays exactly in that form, and I’m really looking forward to a great rest of season.”
Deusser echoed the feelings of his fellow competitors about having the opportunity to compete during challenging times.
“We are in a very lucky position that we are able to ride here,” he confirmed. “Maybe for me it’s a little bit more, also for Harrie. Coming from Europe, we know in the moment with the current situation of COVID how difficult it is to organize events, how difficult it is for the sport, and also how difficult life in Europe is in the moment. A big congratulations and also a big thank you to the organization and also to the sponsor that we are allowed to ride here.”
Final Results: $500,000 Rolex Grand Prix CSI5*
1. SCUDERIA 1918 TOBAGO Z: 2008 Zangersheide stallion by Tangelo Vd Zuuthoeve x Mr Blue DANIEL DEUSSER (GER), Stephex and Scuderia 1918: 0/0/36.40
2. GEMMA W: 2011 KWPN mare by Luidam x Unaniem DANIEL BLUMAN (ISR), Blue Star Investments and Over The Top Stables: 0/0/36.54
3. BINGO DU PARC: 2011 Selle Français gelding by Mylord Carthago *HN x Diamant de Semilly HARRIE SMOLDERS (NED), COPERNICUS STABLES, LLC: 0/0/36.74
4. CONTAGIOUS: 2009 German Sport Horse gelding by Contagio x For Keeps MCLAIN WARD (USA), Beechwood Stables LLC: 0/4/34.94
5. DON JUAN VAN DE DONKHOEVE: 2009 SBS stallion by Bamako de Muze x Heartbreaker JESSICA SPRINGSTEEN (USA), Stone Hill Farm: 0/4/37.21
6. CHACCO BLUE II: 2007 Oldenberg stallion by Chacco Blue x Cincaba Rouge SANTIAGO LAMBRE (MEX), Santiago Lambre: 0/4/43.14
7. DSARIE: 2008 KWPN mare by Veron x Ahorn BEAT MÄNDLI (SUI), Grand Road Partners, GmbH: 0/8/37.42
8. VITIKI: 2008 Hanoverian by Valentino x For Expo YURI MANSUR (BRA), Yuri Mansur: 0/8/38.35
9. BALOU DU REVENTON: 2006 Oldenburg stallion by Cornet Obolensky x Georgia BRIAN MOGGRE (USA), Ann C Thompson: 1/88.62
10. AMSTERDAM 27: 2010 Holsteiner gelding by Catoki x Acord II TEDDY VLOCK (ISR), Vlock Show Stables, LLC: 1/88.66
11. CARLCHEN W: 2008 German Warmblood gelding by Chacco-Blue x Continue ALEX GRANATO (USA), Page Tredennick:
12. PACINO AMIRO: 2012: Irish Sport Horse gelding by Pacino x NC Amiro BERTRAM ALLEN (IRL), Aiden McGregory: 4/84.71